May 31, 2009

untangling braids

I discovered something these past days.
The book I have been working on for quite a time now (started writing it in NaNoWriMo), does not work this way. It's like a braid - there are three parts to it, that somehow belong together but that will only stay together because of a rubber band.
Now, the rubber band exists because I wrote it all under much time pressure. It was okay at the tim eto just let it flow. Now, my job is to loose the rubber band.
I'm not saying that the story itself isn't worthy of being told, I just think it should be three seperate parts, not one. So I need to untangle it.

Problem is, though, untangling gets hard with untidy braids. It hurts. And sometimes, a little hair needs to be cut in order to get a nice clean look in the end. And even then, it takes an awful lot of time and persistence to do so. And I don't think I have that time right now. Or the persistence. And thinking thi sway makes me feel like I never will finish the story. Damn it!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great way to look at it...braids are exactly like writing. It's all how you weave it together for sure!

    When I got really frustrated with my revisions I took a small break and started new stories that allowed me to clear my mind and have fun while still writing. I think it helps to know you're never alone in how you feel. Every writer has days that make you want to give up - just walk away for a couple hours, a day or a week and you'll be ready to tackle it!

    Hang in there! I love that you're willing to untangle your braid and cut if needed. That's what it takes to make a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your advice and sympathy.
    I tried to get some distance before though, until last Sunday, I hadn't even looked at my work for a month. I guess now it's just time to fight my way through it.

    But it always helps to now there are others out there with similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete