June 22, 2009

good movie vs. good movie

A couple of days ago, I saw two movies.
The first one, "The Prince & Me" is just a happy, romantic, dreamy love-story that makes me feel all good and believe in fairytales. And even though I have watched it several times, there were litle details, that I hadn't seen before and that I reall yenjoyed finding. I watched it with my family, so I got all of my fathers comments. From somewhere in the middle, he could tell the story without ever having seen it. Which made me wonder whether the movie really is so good. Even thoguh the camera work and music and all that stuff really fit the atmosphere of the story.
Then, the next day, we watched a movie called "The Brave One", which I had no idea of going in. It's kind of dark, exploring what happens to some people when for example, they are attacked and their boyfriend dies. It really made me think and there was a lot of suspense till right to the end. You always wondered what wa sgoing to happen.

What I really want to say is that both movies were really enjoyable, i had a good time watching both. So if both are really good movies, why does watching "The Prince & Me" feel worth less than the other one? Is it because it doesn't deal with something important or doesn't make you think?

The same applies for books, I guess. There ar ethese feel-good stories, that don't have any philosophical aspect in them. Still, some of them are written really well. And then there are these books, which make you think, some even mak eme sort of depressed for a little while. Are these books worth more?

I mean, as a writer, I get that there should be an underlying message. But isn't "fairytales can still come true" good enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment